Sea Moss & Bladderwrack Capsules: Making Your Own
Irish sea moss and bladderwrack are two herbs that Dr. Sebi made frequent use of in his herbal compounds (i.e. Bromide Plus) and when treating patients.
I shared a couple of recipes a while back which aim to make the natural sea taste more palatable as well as give you some more options for consumption.
In this post, we’re going to look at encapsulating the dry herbs ourselves.
Making your own capsules is ideal if you want to bypass the “ocean taste” altogether or you just need a more convenient way to regularly consume sea moss.
Benefits of Sea Moss and Bladderwrack
Irish moss is highly rich in vitamins A, B, C, D, E, and K as well as essential minerals, especially calcium, potassium iodide, and potassium bromide.
Bladderwrack, another seaweed, is one of the best sources of Iodine on the planet. It is often used to treat issues associated with iodine deficiency such as under-active thyroid. Being rich in Iodine, it may also help boost the immune system.
How to Encapsulate The Herbs
Making your own sea moss pills is pretty straight forward and being able to pre-make a load of capsules once a month for daily consumption is really convenient and saves some money.
Depending on whether you are using powdered or just dried herbs the process involves a couple of extra steps.
Basically, if the herbs haven’t been ground, you’ll also need a grinder such as a coffee grinder and a fine sieve.
Equipment / Material List:
- dried or powdered sea moss
- dried or powdered bladderwrack
- grinder (for dried herb)
- bowl and fine strainer (for dried herb)
- 00 vegan capsules
- 00 capsule machine
- Bottle for storage
- Cotton (to protect capsules from moisture)
Step by Step Video
Check this video showing you how to encapsulate dry (unground) herbs using a capsule filling machine.
If you are using powdered herbs you won’t need a grinder or strainer and can instead just mix the sea moss powder and bladderwrack powder in a bowl before filling your capsules.
Recommended Capsule Machines
The ALL-IN Capsule Filling Machine is a pretty good choice, after noticing it has over 600 5-star reviews I decided to try it out.
So far I’ve been impressed, the capsules don’t always fall correctly into the holes in the tray when you shake it (as seen in the video) but that’s pretty much a given with any of these manual filling machines.
- EASY & SIMPLE TO USE: Giving you the power to create your very own 00 capsules from the comfort of your own home, this bespoke capsule maker will save both time and money. Allowing you to buy herb, vitamin and supplement powders in bulk for a more cost-effective price, this pill maker can create 100 custom capsules within minutes.
- DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS: Unlike many other capsule plates, this ALL-IN Capsule holder comes equipped with fully-detailed instructions guaranteed to make the entire process easy and hassle-free. Giving you clear pictures and information on how to utilize your fillable capsules, this machine is a clear cut above the rest.
- PORTABLE: Due to the compact size, shape and lightweight nature of this capsule filling tray, you’re able to create your very own capsules anywhere. Ideal to be taken on-the-go and easy to carry, the versatile nature of this 00 capsule holder is guaranteed to impress any herbalist or regular supplement taker.
- PREMIUM QUALITY: Featuring a bold black and blue design with 100 pressed holes, this capsule holder has been made using expert craftsmanship. Robust and designed to stand the test of time, all your empty vegetarian capsules and 00 gelatin capsules will be filled with utmost precision every time.
- 100% MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE: Whilst we’re certain you’ll love the ALL-IN Capsule maker, if you’re not completely satisfied let us know within 30 days to receive a full refund – no strings attached.
Key points to remember
- Make sure you get the right size capsule machine for your capsules (“00” is probably the best size to go for).
- After popping filled capsules out of the machine, you may need to ensure the cap and body of each capsule are properly pushed together (and not loose).
- Try not to touch the powder too much with your hands, use a rubber spatula to aid in pouring powder from the mixing bowl into the capsule tray.
- Place a piece of cotton wool inside the bottle with the capsules to help keep them dry.