These chickpea burgers are one of my favorites, they’re crispy and delicious, a must try for all vegetarians and vegans out there.
- 1 half cup Chickpeas
- Flour (Spelt, Rye, Quinoa, or Garbanzo bean)
- Sea Salt (to taste)
- Cayenne (to taste)
- Onion Powder (optional)
- 1 half Onions
- Mushrooms (optional)
- Grape Seed Oil
- Wash the chickpeas and soak them overnight
- Boil the chickpeas on a low flame for about 30 minutes or until soft and drain the water.
- Use a fork or potato masher to mash up the chickpeas
- Add in your flour of choice, chopped onions and mushrooms and any other veggies you like such as bell pepper and tomatoes. Add your seasonings (sea salt, cayenne pepper, etc) and stir well.
Taste the mixture to make sure it has the desired amount of seasonings before forming the dough. Now slowly add water to combine it all into a dough and knead it to the proper consistency. Alternatively, you can use a veggie puree in place of water for a greener burger. This works well with watercress.
- Once the dough has the right consistency form it into patties of your desired size.
- Heat some oil in a pan (I use grapeseed oil), when hot fry your patties on both sides for about 4-5 minutes on each side or until they brown. Keep the heat on medium or medium-low.
- Serve this on a piece of lettuce or if you like any type of burger bun or bread. I prefer to use lettuce as the burgers are quite heavy and using bread is a lot of grain.
Optionally for a sauce, you can use hummus or blend up some cilantro and add the same spices as above and some sea moss gel to get it thicker.
- Grab a handful of cilantro and put it in the blender. Add a small amount of water and blend until it liquifies. Use as little water as possible. Once you have a liquid add your desired spices. I like sea salt cayenne pepper, onion powder, and dill weed.
Then add a couple spoons of sea moss gel to thicken it up and pulse it again.
You may have to keep adding the sea moss until its starts to thicken. Once it does just taste it to make sure it’s to your liking. Adjust seasonings or add more cilantro pulse again till it’s perfect and then serve.